Sunday, November 17, 2019

~Mini Sermon~

I have been reading a little bit about two men in the bible. They are both in the Old Testament...Abraham and Noah. You can feel free to research them (I am not going to take the time to DIG here). Both men had a relationship/friendship with Father. They both heard Him speak to them. They spoke back to Him. They had a friendship as if God were right there with them.(which really He is)

Father would love each of His kids to have a relationship/friendship with Him. In all honesty, I do...and I cherish it. I walk around talking with Him on and off all during the day and even nights when I lie awake. Our conversation the other night went something like this, "is it all right to ask You to have angels come around me and give me hugs as I need them or is that too demanding?" I feel His warmth of a smile. "Okay," I continue, so yeah that probably isn't right of me but it would be so cool if they would come and hug me and I could feel there peace like that day when some were here with me. I don't have to see them like I did that day...just feel them." The next day He answered me. My entire house felt covered in a hug of peace. I didn't ask Him if it was angels or His Holy Spirit. What I know is the peace still hovers. It's like this "hush". I feel the warmth of the hug.

We have a variety of conversations. I am not always requesting things. Sometimes I will talk with Him about the birds outside my window. Or I will thank Him for His provisions. Sometimes I talk with Him about the most mundane or bits of  just this and that. That's what friends do right? My point is, I cherish His friendship and don't take it for granted. I sometimes hear Him whisper in my ear. His friendship is that comfortable type. Sure He will tell me when I need to work on something to better myself or He will correct me when I am wrong. Friends do that too!

In writing to you about all of this Friendship bit, I need to share with you something I recently learned. I have read this passage of scripture many times and never really connected what I  recently learned. There are seven qualities in the following passage that will keep you from being ineffective in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. They will keep the friendship.The passage is 2 Peter 1:1-11 (ESV)


Simeon[a] Peter, a servant[b] and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to[c] his own glory and excellence,[d] by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue,[e] and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities[f] are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. 10 Therefore, brothers,[g] be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Did you pick out the seven qualities? I will.
1. Virtue
2. Knowledge
3. Self Control
4. Steadfastness
5. Godliness
6. Brotherly Affection
7. Love: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 English Standard Version (ESV)
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[a] it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things
If we practice (live out) these seven qualities, we will never fail Jesus. We can have that amazing friendship with Him. Think of it like this....living out each of those seven qualities strengthens our relationship/friendship with Jesus...it is how we attain our final goal. The more we live out these qualities, the more we want to live out these qualities. We don't want to let our Friend down...we don't want to fail Him. Our relationship/friendship is too important.  

Deepening your relationship with Jesus...talking to Him as a Friend...pouring out your heart to Him...thanking Him for sunshine...telling Him how lovely a flower smells...letting Him know that you you are glad for your pets...thanking Him for your husband/wife...your kids...your friend who really "gets" you...my goodness you can talk with Him about anything...there is always "help!"..."I am so sorry I ....." Talking to Him on and off daily and nightly helps us to become closer to Him...in so doing...we will not WANT to fail Him....we will WANT to live out the seven qualities.

Do it! Grow your friendship with Jesus! Live out the seven qualities for the rest of your life!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment