Monday, April 6, 2020

Hello. The following are some real thoughts from our beloved writer's husband:

In the Gospel of John, chapter 13, we read about Jesus washing His disciples' feet just before the Passover Feast. Soon Jesus will be arrested and then crucified.

The bible says: “Having loved his own who were in the world, He now showed them the full extent of His love.”  - John 13:1b

Jesus took on the form of a servant, wrapped the humble servant towel around His waist and began to wash the feet of these leaders, the 12 who had walked close with HIM sharing ministry with HIM. He began to wash feet.
-          He knew Judas was in the midst of carrying out betrayal
-          Simon Peter was overconfident and prideful and would deny Him
-          And that the others would become afraid and leave Him in His hour of need

Jesus washed feet. Take some time and read this passage and reflect on Jesus washing feet. In addition to washing feet, He said:

          “Do you understand what I have done for you?” He asked them. “You call me teacher and                    Lord, and rightly so for that is what I am. Now that I, your Teacher, have washed your feet,                  you also should wash one another’s feetI have set an example that you should do as I have               done for you.”  John 13:12-15

Washing feet is to love when it’s hard, to act in mercy and compassion without expectation or condition, and is done with humility and service in love.

My bride and I have walked together following Jesus for 32 years. We have grown spiritually in our relationship in the LORD Jesus and together. We have failed one another and forgiven one another. My bride has taught me to wash feet. She would tell you that she was called and had a passion to be a pastor’s wife. She is not your typical pastor’s wife. She has always found ways to love others and walk with people helping them to see and know more of Jesus.

She has held me in times of despair, spoken to me in love when I was wrong and encouraged me in ways to boost my spirit when it was necessary. She has always prayed for me and brought things to the LORD , even burdens and content of others I carried that couldn't be disclosed. She has helped me be a better father and often served our family in many sacrificial ways. I could go on but for now I will move on.

My bride’s battle with cancer has been hard; she has shared the Journey with all of you here. Her desire has been to use her journey to help others on their walks journeys of their own. She gets a bright twinkle in her eyes when she is able to help someone experience the Crazy Peace of Jesus as she does.

As this year began, my bride began to struggle much more physically. By the second week of March we both knew things going to become even harder. By then I was helping her to even stand.  We began to talk about all kinds of things. At one point my bride even said, "I am sorry you have to do all this for me." My first thought was an image in my mind from John 13 and I responded: "I'm honored to wash your feet." As hard as it is and as difficult as it is these are the most intimate days I have had with my bride of 32 years.

Jesus said: "do you see what I have done for you so you must wash one another’s feet. This is Love."

My bride and I are so thankful for the Cross, for Jesus for the Hope and peace we have in HIM and for God’s goodness and faithfulness. My heart hurts and is filled with hope at the same time because I know it is likely my bride will soon be dancing with the saints in glory.

- Just a husband being real. 

2 comments:

  1. Just reading this on 8th April at 4.30am UK time. Have followed your journey through lovely lady, I sat there thinking I had not heard from you on FB and had re-read Caleb's post from 24th March and Phil's post from Monday. Feel so sad but know you have a rock solid faith and amazing peace in Jesus. You have bravely fought a hard physical battle with courage and a strength that has inspired me. From our earliest days on the Crosswalk chat I really liked you and we stayed in contact. You made me laugh so much. Sending a special love at this time to an amazing lady. God bless you always. Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lari often spoke of you and really enjoyed the friendship. I know you encouraged her.

    ReplyDelete